Mansfield Fire Department History

The Mansfield Fire Department was established in 1847 as a volunteer fire department.

December 3, 1942 - Certificate of War Necessity - this form is from the years leading up to,
and the beginning of, World War II.  This certificate from the Office of Defense Transportation
allows for the use of a single-unit commercial vehicle, firetruck.  This certificate was needed
because of the metal and steel rationing.  This certificate is granted for purposes necessary
to the war effort or for the 'maintenance of essential civilian economy.