Water & Sewer Service


water towerThe City of Mansfield provides water and sewer services to its residents and businesses inside the City Limits. Bills are processed monthly and based upon actual water consumption. 

The water meter is owned and maintained by the City of Mansfield.  Only the City’s public works personnel may turn the water on and off on the street side of the meter.  The pipe that runs from the meter to your home belongs to you, the customer, and is your responsibility. 

Most homes have a main valve, also called a "house valve". If you need to shut off water to your entire home for plumbing repairs, you should use the house valve or, if one has been installed, the gate valve on the property side of the meter.

Do not turn the valve on the street side of the meter as you will be liable for any damage caused to City equipment.

If you need to have the water service turned off at the meter for any reason,
call City Hall between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. and a service person will be dispatched to your address.  

 Water Services Rates

  • Monthly Water Rates inside city limits - $20 (minimum) Monthly Water Rates outside city limits - $22 (minimum)
  • Monthly Water Rates Per 1,000 Gallons - inside city limits - $4.50
    Monthly Water Rates Per 1,000 Gallons - outside city limits - $5.25

Sewerage/Collection Services Rates

Monthly Sewer Collection Rates - inside city limits - $9.95 plus $.89 per 1000 gallons
Monthly Sewer Collection Rates - outside city limits - $12.95  plus $1.00 per 1000 gallons

Monthly Billing Dates

Your water bill is due and payable upon receipt.  If bill is not paid by the 15th of each month  
a $2.00 Water Late Fee and $2.00 Sewerage Late Fee will be assessed.  

Two Month Bill (Late)

This bill must be paid at once. If this bill is not paid by the 10th of the second month of default,
a $35.00 non-refundable late fee will be added to your bill and your water will be cut off.  


Pay over the internet using your credit card. You will need to register first in order to pay online.
Click here to make a payment online!


How Do I Start or Cancel Water Service?

You start service by coming into City Hall.  The City requires all customers to complete an application,
and then submit it along with a legible copy of the primary account holder’s driver's license or other valid identification.  A $100 deposit is required.

To cancel services, the person whose name is on the account, must contact City Hall. 


What if I have additional questions about my water/sewer account?

For more information or questions regarding your water/sewer account, you may contact the Utility Billing Office.

Phone: (318) 872-0406 
Fax: (318) 872-0402